Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Disappointment

I had a doctors appointment today. And for the rest of the day was feeling pretty sad. Today was the day my dr wanted to schedule a c-section "just in case" the baby didn't come by it's due date. Turns out he won't even get until his due date, because it's scheduled for September 23rd. My due date is September 24th, a Saturday. I asked if we could schedule it for the following Wednesday because Steve will get three days off and I wanted to stack them with his normal days off so he would get to be home for 5 days if the c-section was to happen. My dr didn't want to do that because she doesn't like when women trying for a VBAC go past their due date. So she suggested the Wednesday before my due date, seriously, not even going to let me go to my due date before she tries to take him out!?
Needless to say, I am pretty pissed. This whole time she has been leading us on giving us all this false hope that we were going to be able to do a VBAC and now it looks like we can try to do a VBAC as long as the baby comes early. What happened to the days when I was pregnant with Simon and your due date was plus or minus two weeks, and a baby wasn't considered overdue until 2 weeks late? What will it hurt to go 4 days past my due date before we try to take the baby by c-section?
I never thought I would be someone who is praying for her baby to be born early, but I am, and if any of you reading want to pray for us, I would appreciate it. Having this baby naturally is so important to me, and to our family. I really hope this baby isn't stubborn and wants to come out early. In the meantime I am researching ways to induce labor naturally, and ripen the cervix, etc.

5 comments:

karlamsmith said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I hear it's rare in NV that they even let you try for a VBAC. You should move to utah, they're a little more pro-VBAC- my friend just did a VBAC and was 2 weeks after her due date!

Leslie@leserleeslovesandhobbies said...

Oh, Kari, I am so sorry. I don't know how I didn't see this blog earlier than now. I suck! Don't let her schedule the c-section. It's your body and baby. Do what you want. She's just trying to make things more convenient for her. I love you! I'll call you later today. Hugs!

dacjohns said...

Your doctor should not be allowed to do that. I would tell her no. There is nothing wrong with waiting till the Wed. after your due date. It is probably all about the money. She gets more if it is a c-section. Hope all goes well and Papa has a grandson on his birthday. :)

Kaycei said...

Ripen the cervix *giggle*
Kari, I am sorry to hear that. I agree with Mom's comment--the hospital will get more money from a C-Section. What would happen if you just--didn't go in?
I'm starting to have concerns about my relationship with my future Ob/Gyn and what would happen if s/he would be on vacation when it is time to deliver and all of those other issues.
Were women always this tight with the person giving birth? When I was younger, I figured it was just the doctor who happened to be there who delivered.
I am so sorry and disappointed for you. Love.

A Writer said...

I say argue. It's your baby, your body, and your life. This is an increasingly common trend I've been hearing about from doctors, nurses, and expectant mothers.

And hey, if she's not willing to come and take care of Simon and your new baby while you heal and Steve works, maybe she should let you do it the week after. Just a thought...